Program Training Plan
Enrollment Available to: Adults ONLY, age 21 +
Up to four weeks of intensive training will prepare students for a career in the trucking industry. Topics include: basic and advanced driving skills, truck components and operation, cost efficient operation, rules and regulations, handling cargo and paper work, first aid, personal health and safety, and driver professionalism. Students will also log over 60 hours of on-the-road driving and observation. This training prepares drivers for a career with a wide variety of carriers.
Thanksgiving Point Campus
|Tuition||$1.70/per enrollment hour|
|Adult Cost||$272 Tuition + $3,040 Fees = $3,312.00|
|Extra Supply Cost||All Included with Fees|
|Avg. Starting Wage||$39,970 Yearly ($19.22 /hr.)|
|Certifications||MATC Certificate of Proficiency (COP) in Commercial Truck Driving; Industry Certification: • Utah State Commercial Driving License (CDL)|
Program dates, times, tuition and fees are subject to change.
Fees include class materials, equipment use, drug screen, DOT physical exam, and state testing (driving & written).
Program Length160 Hour Program • Average 4 Weeks
• Minimum age to enroll into this program is 21.
• No later than the Friday prior to class start, students are required to come to the MATC with a current copy (within the last 30 days) of a Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
• Employment in professional driving may depend on ability to meet employer and/or licensing requirements (i.e., health and drug screening, a satisfactory driving record, driving test, etc.), which is the student’s responsibility.
• Students are required to speak, read, and write English well enough to complete the curriculum, understand traffic signs, and speak with law enforcement authorities and the public.
• As part of the admission process, students may be required to complete a basic assessment of reading and math skills. The test is free and takes approximately 2 hr. to complete. For additional information, call the Testing Center at: (801) 753-4110.
2013 - 2014 Year Round CDL Sessions Schedule
|Thanksgiving Point||Open Entry / Open Exit||Mon. -- Fri.||8:00am - 5:00pm|
PROGRAM SCHEDULE AND AVAILABILITY:
The MATC CDL Program OE/OE schedule will be held at the MATC Thanksgiving Point Campus:
Open Entry / Open Exit Enrollment (OE/OE): Students can start class on the 1st or 3rd Monday of the month, providing space is available, and will end upon completion of competencies.
COMMERCIAL TRUCK TRANSPORTATION PROFESSION:
Truck drivers transport goods from one location to another. Most drivers are long-haul drivers and operate trucks with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds per gross vehicle weight (GVW). They deliver goods over intercity routes, sometimes spanning several states. Some heavy truck drivers transport hazardous materials, such as chemical waste, and have to take special precautions when driving. Also, these drivers normally carry specialized safety equipment in case of an accident. Other specialized drivers, such as those carrying liquids, oversized loads, or cars, have to follow rules that apply specifically to them. A driver has to know which roads allow trucks and which do not. Drivers also must plan legally required rest periods into their trip. Some have one or two routes that they drive regularly and other drivers take many different routes throughout the country.
Please see our Refund Policy.